THE POWER OF CHOICE
The Fall in Genesis 3 happened because of human choice. Cain chose to kill his brother. Cain is the match that lit the reality of killing for all of us. If we can choose to kill, we can also choose to act for life. Deuteronomy 30:19 calls us to “Choose life so that you and your descendants may live.”
In a recent article in the Washington Post, Max Ehrenfreund wrote that “During the last 25 years, violent crime has decreased dramatically in the U.S.”
He presented reasons for the decrease:
1. More police officers on the beat.
2. Police using computers to analyze high crime areas that would require more police attention.
3. Less booze. People are drinking less.
4. Less lead. Lead makes people more aggressive. The Clean Air Act of 1970 helped take lead out of gasoline. One researcher said removal of lead reduced crime by 56%. Other researchers say the reduction was more like 5-10%.
5. A better economy. More work, more jobs, better paying jobs reduced crime by 5-10%.
To this list I would add the passage of a universal background check law, to include closing the gun show loophole, private sales and internet sales. A bill to remove guns from those committing domestic violence would reduce deaths. I would further make it a crime for gun dealers to sell to straw purchasers.
All of these suggestions could become reality IF people CHOOSE to make them real. As killing someone is a choice, choosing life is also a CHOICE.